Friday 10 February 2012

Eggs en Cocotte



Behold! This is the amazing egg en cocotte with light wild mushroom cream that was my starter when I visited L'atelier de Joel Rebuchon for lunch recently. The wild mushroom cream was simultaneously light and deep in flavour. Trying this has really got me thinking about the best way to cook eggs and I'm currently having a bit of a research session on different ways to cook eggs en cocotte.

Also known as shirred eggs, they are cooked in a style that means the albumen or egg white is firm and set whilst maintaining a runny yolk in the centre. This is achieved by baking the egg in the oven. The cocotte naming comes from the type of small casserole dish that they are normally cooked in. Looking through a few books, it seems there are many different classic ways to prepare this dish such as à la Parisienne (which adds ham, mushrooms and cream) and à la Forestière (with which you garnish the bottom of the cocotte diced fried bacon, mushroom purée and topped at the end with chopped parsley).

I'm going into the kitchen to experiment and hopefully I will return triumphant, ready to share with you my culinary treasure. Stay tuned!

P.S. How do you like to cook your eggs en cocotte? How to do you like your eggs in general? Let me know if you have any suggestions.


GastroTom

Follow me on Twitter- @GastroTomBlog  twitter.com/GastroTomBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment