Thursday 5 January 2012

The End of a Baguette



That old problem of opening the kitchen cupboard and discovering the pesky little end of a baguette. The bread is too good to just throw away but what can you quickly do to it that will make you a tasty light lunch?


How about toasted sourdough baguette with goat's curd and pea shoots, drizzled with Kalmata extra virgin olive oil?

Well, as simple as this solution might be, I just enjoyed it myself for lunch and I certainly wasn't left wanting.

Take the end of your baguette (or indeed a middle part if you're lucky to have more left) and slice in half. Place under the grill until lightly toasted.

Spread the goat's curd liberally onto the bread.

Season with sel de Guerande and black pepper.

Top the bread with a sprinkling of fresh pea shoots.

Finally drizzle with an extra virgin olive oil.

I was lucky that my end of baguette was more specifically a delicious white stick from the St. John Bakery who have their bakery just down the road from me on Druid Street, Bermondsey. I was similarly blessed that my goats curd was produced by Neal's Yard Creamery, an independent dairy producer based in Dorstone, Herefordshire.

I also used a PDO Kalmata Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Waitrose which was golden and peppery and added greatly to the overall balance of the dish. And my pea shoots, I was pleased to see, were grown in my home county of Yorkshire and tasted fresh and sweet. Perfect to cut through the goat's curd and bring a bit of balance and green vibrancy to the dish. I suppose some would say you should really remove the stems from the pea shoots but with this, I enjoyed the crunchy element that they brought and so left them as I found them.

Ready in five. Enjoy!

St. John Bakery- http://www.stjohnbakerycompany.com/
Neal's Yard Creamery- http://www.nealsyardcreamery.co.uk/index.html

GastroTom

Follow me on Twitter- @GastroTomBlog  twitter.com/GastroTomBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment