Friday 6 January 2012

The Post-Christmas Chocolate Haul


I love it when the food gods offer you up a lovely treat in the most unexpected places. I came across a box of Charbonnel et Walker Violet Creams in the post-Christmas sales shopping in Leeds in, believe it or not, discount retailer, TK Maxx (I believe it is known as TJ Maxx in the States).







Charbonnel et Walker are the luxury British chocolatiers, founded in 1875 when the then Prince of Wales, Edward VII of England encouraged Mme. Charbonnel of the Boissier chocolate house in Paris to move to London and go into partnership with Mrs. Walker.



These chocolates are so delicious, with their lovely, firm fondant bursting with the perfumed flavour of English violet. Each is daintily decorated with a crystallised violet petal; perfect to round off a meal, maybe with coffee, but personally I'd rather just enjoy them all on their own.

Thanks to TK Maxx, I'm enjoying these on the cheap, but even at full price I'd recommend them.


And the good luck continues. After the mad flurry of activity that is Christmas, I seem to have emerged out of the other side in possession of a large box of Pink Marc de Champagne Truffles from the very same chocolate merchant.

These truffles have a elegant pink shell, dusted with icing sugar, that melts away to reveal a wonderfully rich milk chocolate, butter and Marc de Champagne truffle centre which is satisfyingly strong in the latter.



Both of these chocolates come, like all Charbonnel's products, beautifully packaged and so they are an ideal gift. I think most people would thank you more for a smaller box of these than an epic tray of some more mundane varieties.

All you have to decide is who is going to be the recipient of this first-class confectionary. May I suggest, yourself would be as good a choice as any.

Charbonnel et Walker- http://www.charbonnel.co.uk/

GastroTom

Follow me on Twitter- @GastroTomBlog  twitter.com/GastroTomBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment